Myles J. Noël
Principal - Health Services Consultant
A Senior Health Care Executive with a significant record of achievement
in Strategic Planning, Transformational Leadership, Support Service
Plant Design and Commissioning, and Health Facility Operations Management
with leading Canadian private and public health care organizations
focus on improving organizational effectiveness and success
by applying unique expertise and experience to the organization's
CENTRAL OHIO MEDICAL TEXTILES (COMTEX), COLUMBUS, OHIO
SEPT. 2002 – PRESENT
Central Ohio’s leading hospital laundry, COMTEX currently
provides centralized laundry services to two major healthcare systems
in the greater metropolitan Columbus area.
COMTEX is a joint venture of Mount Carmel and OhioHealth Systems.
The new, state-of-the-art COMTEX facility is initially processing
21 million pounds of medical textiles per year, serving over 5,000
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Accountable to the Board of Directors for supervising the construction
and managing the operation of the new 60,000 square foot processing
plant, with an annual budget of $11 m US$, and 130 FTE’s.
- Spearheaded the planning and development of the new processing
plant from the ground.
- Managed the construction process, from a vacant lot to a fully
- Supervised the commissioning of the office and plant management
and production equipment.
- Responsible for the closing of five on-premises laundries and
the transition of Mount Carmel and OhioHealth staff to the new
- CEO leadership role for the operation of the new plant on a
TILBURY REGIONAL HOSPITAL LAUNDRY, DELTA, BC July 1991 –
BC's leading shared healthcare service organization supporting
three Health Authorities with key General Linen & O. R. Services
for 18 facilities, approximately 5,000 beds and over 45 operating
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER & GENERAL MANAGER
Accountable to Board of Directors for strategic planning, plant
operations and customer services for this $13.5 million annual budget,
165 FTE's and 60,000 square foot, hospital-owned non-profit stand-alone
hospital laundry facility.
- Led the organization through two on-time and on-budget expansions
with major equipment and buildings refurbishment without interruption
to service, staff or operations.
- Returned the organization to a state of credibility within BC
from a steady turnover of expensive contract management controlled
- Replaced budget increases with a ten-year history of stable
prices and improved services; returning approximately 10% annually
that currently totals an accumulated surplus of $1.2m
- Successfully marketed services to three new hospital customers
and provided seamless start-up processes that did not impact ongoing
services to the new or existing customers.
DAVID B. COULSON & ASSOCIATES, TORONTO, ON 1990 - 1991
A leading Canadian healthcare consulting firm that provided a full
range of services to the Ministries of Health, Community & Teaching
Hospitals, Long Term Care Centres, and District Health Councils.
SENIOR CONSULTANT HEALTH SERVICES
Accountable to various Boards of Directors, Steering Committees,
Community Leaders and various Provincial MOH officials for strategic
and master plans, functional programs and reviews.
- Responsible to the Saskatchewan MOH and the Prince Albert Joint
Health Care Planning Committee for key components of the plan
that led to provincial healthcare redevelopment.
- Spearheaded hospital functional program for Douglas Memorial
Hospital located in Fort Erie ON.
- Led a team that provided an operational review of the Phoenix
Child and Family Centre located in Pembroke, ON
- Acted as a key member of a Board of Directors, the Laundry provides
services to eighteen Lower Mainland health facility providers
encompassing approximately 5,000 beds and over 45 operating rooms.
JOHN CROTHALL HOSPITAL SERVICES LTD., OAKVILLE, ON 1986 - 1990
The leading Canadian Contract Management and Consulting firm, providing
services throughout Canada and the UK in the areas of Health Care
Reporting directly to the President and accountable for marketing
as well as profit and loss of the Consulting Division, including
ongoing contracts in British Columbia and Ontario in key Support
- Led the marketing thrust that resulted in the successful multi-year
contract to support the Building Services department of Vancouver
General Hospital, one of Canadas largest healthcare facilities.
- Successfully marketed, renovated and operated the redevelopment
of the Waterloo-Wellington Regional Laundry Services located in
- Supervised and operated the re-development of the Victoria Hospital
Corporation Building Services department utilizing consultant
resources from Ontario and British Columbia.
- Successfully travelled to UK to open JCHS markets by establishing
contacts, developing leads and marketing Company services to the
Healthcare providers of the National Health Services.
EXTENDICARE INC., TORONTO, ON 1984 1985
ADMINISTRATOR MCCOLL CHRONIC CARE WING
Reporting directly to the President of Extendicare and the Queensway
General Hospital Management Committee. Responsible for the staffing,
equipping and commissioning of this 120 bed facility.
- Staffed, equipped and managed this long term care facility by
admitting 120 patients over a two month period and launched services
in nursing, dietary, pharmacy, housekeeping, laundry and plant.
- Successfully commissioned, on time and on budget, this bold
public-private partnership experiment between Extendicare Inc.
and the Queensway General Hospital.
TRENTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, TRENTON, ON 1979 1984
ASSISTANT HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATOR
Reporting to the CEO of this 160 bed Community Hospital and responsible
for clinical and non-clinical services including laboratory, radiology,
dietary, housekeeping, laundry and plant services.
- Successfully managed numerous hospital projects including computerization
of the financial services, re-roofing, installation of medical
gas systems and the construction of paid parking.
- Spearheaded the move to a Regional Hospital Laundry Service
and served as a Board member.
- Responsible to Committees of the Board, including Finance, Labour
Relations & Public Relations.
- Represented Employers on the Provincial Negotiating team with
the Ontario Nurses Association.
- FELLOW CANADIAN COLLEGE OF HEALTH SERVICE EXECUTIVES
- MBA NORTHLAND OPEN UNIVERSITY, Toronto, ON 1983
- BA (HONS.) QUEENS UNIVERSITY, Kingston, ON 1973
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT YORK UNIVERSITY, Toronto, ON
- SELLING SKILLS XEROX TRAINING CENTRE, Leesburg, VI
- CCHSE NATIONAL CONFERENCES, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Halifax,
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- UNIVERSITY OF BC, FACULTY of Heath Care Epidemiology, Clinical
- CANADIAN COLLEGE OF HEALTH SERVICES EXECUTIVES, Executive Member,
- CCHSE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, Representative for BC on National
- CCHSE LOWER MAINLAND CHAPTER EXECUTIVE, Vice President, 1999-2000
- AWARDED FELLOWSHIP CCHSE, June 1997
- AMERICAN COLLEGE OF HEALTHCARE EXECUTIVES, Associate, 1999-Present
- HEALTH ADMINISTRATORS ASSOCIATION OF BC, Executive Member, 1991-Present
- INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HEALTHCARE TEXTILE MANAGERS, Member
since 1991; Trustee 1994 Present
- KINSMEN RETIREMENT CENTRE, Board Chair 1999; Board Member 1999
- ROTARY CLUB OF TSAWWESSEN, Vice President 1997; Member 1991
- AWARDED PAUL HARRIS FELLOW, ROTARY CLUB OF TSAWWASSEN, 1998
- DELTA HOSPICE SOCIETY, Board President 1998; Board Member 1992-1998
- DELTA HOSPICE FOUNDATION, Vice Chair 1997-1998; Founding Member
- FELLOWS COUNCIL, CCHSE, Member 1997-Present
PROFESSIONAL FACILITATION & LECTURES
THE CANADIAN COLLEGE OF HEALTH SERVICE EXECUTIVES, LOWER MAINLAND
- Is There Life After Health Care? Transferable Skills
to the Private Sector, Moderator, Vancouver, 01/98
- An Update On The Regionalization Process in BC, Moderator, Vancouver,
THE NURSE ADMINISTRATORS ASSOCIATION OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
- Presentation to the Nurse Administrators Association of BC,
CCHSE NATIONAL CONFERENCE HALIFAX
- A Time To Consider Fellowship, Presentation, Halifax, 07/97
UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA MHA STUDENTS
- Tilbury Regional Hospital Laundry A Shared Service Success
Story, Lecture, Vancouver, 10/96
- Shared Service Governance, Lecture, Vancouver, 10/95.
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HEALTHCARE TEXTILE MANAGERS
- Tilbury Regional Hospital Laundry A Ten-Year Report Card,
Presentation, Florida, 11/95.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Flatwork Ironers: An Endangered Species? Article, July/August,
- Is Entrepreneurial Manager An Oxymoron in Health Care? Article,
- And You Thought You Had Problems! Article, September/October,
BC ASSOCIATION OF INSTITUTIONAL LAUNDRY MANAGERS
- Public Private Partnerships-Single Use vs. Multiple Use Textiles,
Article, September, 1999.
COLLEGE OF HEALTHCARE EXECUTIVES
- Shared Service Governance; The Impact of Strategic Management;
Multi-Use & Single Use Drape & Gown Challenges, Case Studies,
- Paid Parking - A Community Challenge, Article, March, 1984
- Computer System Allows Simultaneous Access, Article, October,
- New Telephone Options Prove More Efficient, Article, October,
CANADIAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
- A Study of the Affects Of The Business Oriented New Development
Program On An Ontario Hospital, June, 1983
- A Study of the Collective Bargaining Methods and Their Effects
Upon An Ontario Hospital, Dissertation, December, 1981.